About Living Proud – LGBTI Community Services of WA
Living Proud Inc (formerly Gay & Lesbian Community Services of WA Inc) has been providing support, information and resources to the Western Australian gay, lesbian, bisexual, trans* and intersex community for almost 40 years. In fact, we are the longest running organisation of our kind in the Southern Hemisphere.
As WA’s main LGBTI community service our focus is on providing essential services to the gay, lesbian, bisexual, trans* and intersex communities, including our peer counseling phone line, health and wellbeing initiatives and community capacity building. We also offer a number of training options for professionals including the Opening Closets Mental Health training and other half and full-day workplace training in order to improve accessibility for LGBTI people. We also have a successful history of running funded projects, often in partnership with other community groups.
Living Proud: LGBTI Community Services of WA are currently undertaking work on the QLife national LGBTI telephone counseling and referral line, the Opening Closets Mental Health Training project, the National LGBTI Health Alliance Aged Care training project and run regular suicide prevention workshops.
Living Proud (Inc.) is a non-profit organisation which aims to promote the wellbeing of lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans*, intersex, queer and other sexuality, sex and gender diverse people in Western Australia.
As defined by the Living Proud Incorporated Constitution:
- Provide a range of quality services, support and resources which promote the health and wellbeing of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex and other sex, sexuality and gender diverse people (collectively LGBTI);
- Provide advocacy and leadership aimed at reducing disadvantage and discrimination among LGBTI people;
- Encourage and empower LGBTI people to actively participate within the Association, partner organisations and the community;
- Provide consultancy, information, education and training to a range of professionals and service providers which promotes access to services and improves the quality of services for LGBTI people;
- Develop the capacity of groups, organisations, businesses and other institutions to be inclusive of LGBTI people; and,
- To establish an ongoing structure to finance the above aims.